The Netherlands, an outsider's view.

The Netherlands, an outsider's view.

VOEDING

4 Dutch companies turn food waste into treasure

An article posted on Medium, highlights how the Netherlands throws away billions of euros worth of food each per. Many local organisations have sprung up to combat this problem. Medium has compiled a list of five Dutch companies that aim to combat food waste. Here they are—

VeggiHap

VeggiHap focus is on vegetable-based products. The business uses viable vegetables that supermarkets deem unfit for sale due to “cosmetic issues.” VeggiHap takes this “trash” and turns it into treasure—or at least pasta. The pasta contains over 50% of the saved vegetables. As of now, you can purchase spinach, carrot and beetroot pasta from VeggiHap. 

Rotterzwam/Haagsezwam

Only 0.2% of the coffee plant ends up in your cup of coffee. The coffee industry discards the other 99.8%, leaving most of the coffee plant to waste. Rotterzwam decided to use this discarded material as compost to grow oyster mushrooms in Rotterdam. The business then sells these mushrooms to local restaurants and supermarkets. Hague-based Haagsezwam performs similar activities, also selling mushrooms grow kits for people who wish to grow their own mushrooms at home.

Instock

Instock runs restaurants in Amsterdam, The Hague and Utrecht. At these eateries, chefs use the unsold products of Albert Heijn and other supermarkets to craft their meals. A few of the items Instock makes include Pieper Beer, a beer based on potato peels, and Instock Granola, which is bade from brewers’ grains. The business hosts masterclasses on cooking with saved products and organises pub quizzes. Instock has even published a book that supplies tips for preventing food waste at home. 

Fruitleather Rotterdam

Fruitleather Rotterdam converts unused fruit into faux leather. About 45% of produce is thrown away, and the organisation hopes to use this material for fashion accessories and furnishing items. Not only will this tackle the issue of food waste, but it will also help minimise the suffering imposed onto animals from the leather industry. 

 


31mag.nl è un progetto indipendente di giornalismo partecipativo.
Raccontiamo gli esteri da locals, non da corrispondenti o inviati.

Diamo il nostro apporto all’innovazione nei media con news, reportage e video inediti in italiano.
Abbiamo un taglio preciso ma obiettivo.

Recharge us!